5.Imperialism and geopolitical disorder in the 21st century - Peter Drucker
Imperialism, crisis and geopolitical chaos today
IIRE Youth School
19 August 2018
Introduction to report and reporter
I. Imperialism: Lenin’s and Trotsky’s theories
Marx & Engels
Basics of Lenin’s theory
Imperialism in the 20th century
Our anti-imperialism: permanent revolution
II. Neoliberal globalization and the ‘war on terror’
Accumulation by dispossession
Armed globalization and the ‘clash of barbarisms’
III. New imperialist powers?
… and the others
IV. Imperialism in crisis
The US v. China and Russia
Brexit, Trump and the new far right
Crisis in the Middle East
V. Anti-imperialism real and fake: the Arab region
Anti-imperialism today: the contenders
Questions for discussion:
1. What challenges does the rise of the new far right pose for the left?
2. How should we respond to Trump’s conflicts with the EU, Russia, China?
3. What is the best hope for anti-imperialism in the Middle East today?
- V. I. Lenin, Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism, (Excerpts), 1917
- Claudio Katz, "Imperialism in 21st Century", (Excerpts) 2002
- Fourth International [http://internationalviewpoint.org/spip.php?article5447 Capitalist globalization, imperialisms, geopolitical chaos and their implications, excerpts: part I, II, IV
- Alex Callinicos, "Brexit: a world-historic turn", International Socialism 151, 27 June 2016, excerpts
- Pierre Rousset, What could be the international implications of Donald Trump’s election? Questions on the evolution of the global geopolitical situation, up to subhead 'Impact on the relationship of forces between powers'