5.Imperialism and geopolitical disorder in the 21st century.
Imperialism, crisis and geopolitical chaos today
IIRE Youth School
18 August 2019
Introduction to report and reporter
I. Imperialism: Lenin’s and Trotsky’s theories
Marx & Engels
Basics of Lenin’s theory
Imperialism in the 20th century
Our anti-imperialism: permanent revolution
II. Neoliberal globalization and the ‘war on terror’
Accumulation by dispossession
Armed globalization and the ‘clash of barbarisms’
Neoliberalism’s apogee: hyperglobalization
The clash of barbarisms
III. New imperialist powers?
… and the others
IV. Imperialism in crisis
The challenge from China: trade wars and sea lanes
Clashes with Russia
Brexit, Trump and the new far right
Crisis in the Middle East
V. Anti-imperialism real and fake
The Arab region: the ghost of Nasserism and the uprisings
Latin America: beyond the ‘Pink Tide’
Questions for discussion:
1. What challenges does the rise of the new far right pose for the left?
2. How should we respond to Trump’s conflicts with the EU, Russia, China?
3. What is the best hope for anti-imperialism today?
- V. I. Lenin, Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism, (Excerpts), 1917
- Claudio Katz, "Imperialism in 21st Century", (Excerpts) 2002
- Fourth International [http://internationalviewpoint.org/spip.php?article5447 Capitalist globalization, imperialisms, geopolitical chaos and their implications, excerpts: part I, II, IV
- Alex Callinicos, "Brexit: a world-historic turn", International Socialism 151, 27 June 2016, excerpts
- Pierre Rousset, What could be the international implications of Donald Trump’s election? Questions on the evolution of the global geopolitical situation, up to subhead 'Impact on the relationship of forces between powers'