Imperialism and geopolitical disorder in the 21st century -
Imperialism, crisis and geopolitical chaos today
IIRE Ecosocialist School
24 November 2019
Introduction to report and reporter
I. Imperialism: Lenin’s and Trotsky’s theories
Marx & Engels
Basics of Lenin’s theory
Imperialism in the 20th century
Our anti-imperialism: permanent revolution
II. Neoliberal globalization and the ‘war on terror’
Accumulation by dispossession
Armed globalization and the ‘clash of barbarisms’
Neoliberalism’s apogee: hyperglobalization
The clash of barbarisms
III. New imperialist powers?
Trotsky’s theory & the BRICS bubble
IV. Imperialism in crisis
The challenge from China: trade wars and sea lanes
Brexit, Trump and the new far right
Crisis in the Middle East
V. Rebuilding peace movements?
Questions for discussion:
1. What role does US imperialism play in your country? European imperialism? Chinese imperialism? 2. Is there/has there been a significant peace movement in your country? With what focus? 3. What is the best hope today for rebuilding mass peace movements with strong anti-imperialist left wings?
- V. I. Lenin, Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism, (Excerpts), 1917
- Claudio Katz, "Imperialism in 21st Century", (Excerpts) 2002
- Fourth International [http://internationalviewpoint.org/spip.php?article5447 Capitalist globalization, imperialisms, geopolitical chaos and their implications, excerpts: part I, II, IV
- Alex Callinicos, "Brexit: a world-historic turn", International Socialism 151, 27 June 2016, excerpts
- Pierre Rousset, What could be the international implications of Donald Trump’s election? Questions on the evolution of the global geopolitical situation, up to subhead 'Impact on the relationship of forces between powers'