Imperialism and geopolitical disorder in the 21st century -
Imperialism, crisis and geopolitical chaos today IIRE Ecosocialist School 24 November 2019 Peter Drucker
Introduction to report and reporter
I. Imperialism: Lenin’s and Trotsky’s theories Marx & Engels Basics of Lenin’s theory Imperialism in the 20th century Our anti-imperialism: permanent revolution
II. Neoliberal globalization and the ‘war on terror’ Imperialism today Accumulation by dispossession Armed globalization and the ‘clash of barbarisms’ Neoliberalism’s apogee: hyperglobalization The clash of barbarisms
III. New imperialist powers? Trotsky’s theory & the BRICS bubble China Russia
IV. Imperialism in crisis The challenge from China: trade wars and sea lanes Brexit, Trump and the new far right Crisis in the Middle East
V. Rebuilding peace movements?
Questions for discussion:
1. What role does US imperialism play in your country? European imperialism? Chinese imperialism? 2. Is there/has there been a significant peace movement in your country? With what focus? 3. What is the best hope today for rebuilding mass peace movements with strong anti-imperialist left wings?
- V. I. Lenin, Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism, (Excerpts), 1917
- Claudio Katz, "Imperialism in 21st Century", (Excerpts) 2002
- Fourth International [http://internationalviewpoint.org/spip.php?article5447 Capitalist globalization, imperialisms, geopolitical chaos and their implications, excerpts: part I, II, IV
- Alex Callinicos, "Brexit: a world-historic turn", International Socialism 151, 27 June 2016, excerpts
- Pierre Rousset, What could be the international implications of Donald Trump’s election? Questions on the evolution of the global geopolitical situation, up to subhead 'Impact on the relationship of forces between powers'