Ecosocialist School 2012
1. The systemic crisis of capitalism, consequences for the exploited and the oppressed
- Marx's materialism: The Theses on Feuerbach
- Introduction to historical materialism: The image of base and superstructure.
- Introduction to the marxist critique of political economy: use value, exchange value, surplus value, exploitation.
'''The global economic crisis - Nacho Álvarez'''
- The neoliberal answer to the crisis since the 1980’s
- Marxist analysis of the current crisis
- The responses of the bourgeoisie to the current crisis and their solutions
'''Imperialism today – Alex de Jong'''
- The classic theory of imperialism (origins, Lenin’s analysis, first world war)
- Imperialism under US hegemony (post Second World War)
- Geopolitics today, emerging imperialist powers and declining imperialist powers
'''The new working class - Dan La Botz'''
- The working class as a revolutionary class
- The transformations in the structure of production worldwide and in the composition of the working class (“postfordism”, delocalisation rise of the service sector, precariousness, migrants, youth, women, etc.)
- The current situation of the labour movement and class consciousness,challenges.
- The nature of women's oppression/exploitation under capitalism
- Women in the current crisis: attacks on women ( as workers, reproductive rights, influence of reactionary ideologies , violence against women, prostitution as a global system)
women and the climate crisis; ecofeminism
- The need for an autonomous women’s movement :some examples past and present
- Origins and different aspects of women’s oppression
- Patriarchal attitudes and mechanisms that influence our way of looking at the family, reproduction and gender in society at large.
- Sexual identities, the LGBT movement, homophobia and heterosexism
- National identities, right to self determination
- Religious identities, the roles of religion in different societies and contexts
- The problem of intersectionality of different identities
'''Climate crisis - Marijke Colle'''
- Technical explanation of the global warming and consequences
- The impossible green capitalist solutions
- Climate change and social justice
'''Food crisis - Jamie M'''
- The origins of the current food crisis and a Marxist explanation
- The concept of food sovereignty as opposed to agribusiness and to ‘food safety’
- New peasants and indigenous peoples struggles, the fight against global agribusiness and capitalist agriculture
'''Ecosocialism - Daniel Tanuro'''
- A criticism of the concept of linear progress
- The fight for another ecosocialist society,linked to the characteristics of the current combined economic and ecological crisis;
- Use value and human needs; the commons and public services;
'''Our socialist project - Catherine Samary'''
- The problem of bureaucracy before and after the overthrow of capitalism
- Democracy and political representation; democracy and the Law; importance of self organisation before and after the revolution
- Socialist democracy and political pluralism
3. Strategic questions and situation in the different world regions
- Balance sheet of the 20th Century experiences
- Rebuilding class consciousness and rebuilding mass organisations
- Mass mobilisation and united fronts, new movements
- The conquest of power in the 21st century.
Day off Saturday 8/12
- The economies of the emergent countries, the role of China
- Ongoing conflicts: workers movements, peasant movement, indigenous peoples movements
- The dynamics of the left, new parties.
- Socio-economic roots of the Arab spring;
- Dynamics of the processes in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Syria;
- The fight for dignity and democracy; role of Islamic forces; religion; women’s liberation.
- The left governments in Latin America: Where are they going?
- The role of the Indigenous movements in different countries
- Lessons from the Brazilian experience; new broad parties, Mexico?
'''The crisis in Europe - Alan Thornett''' Wednesday 12/12
- The current economic crisis in different parts of Europe;
- The debt crisis and transitional demands, action program;
- The crisis of the current European project and of parliamentary democracy; our answers.
'''The current transformations in Africa''' Thursday 13/12
- Sub-Saharan Africa, economic trends; different neo-colonial regimes; role of former colonial powers;
- Role of South-Africa, role of China and Brazil;
- Agriculture, land grabbing, climate change; struggles by social movements
- Our conception of a revolutionary party
- The recent history of the Fourth International
- Current challenges in the different regions