Ecosocialist School 2012
Saturday 24/11 Arrivals, Introduction
1. The systemic crisis of capitalism, consequences for the exploited and the oppressed
Sunday 25/11 Introduction to our critical Marxism - Alex Merlo
- Historical presentation of Marx and historical materialism, questions of method.
- Basic concepts of value, surplus value, exploitation, rate of profit…
- The revolutionary Marxist current. Uneven and combined development.
Monday 26/11 The global economic crisis - Nacho Álvarez
- The neoliberal answer to the crisis since the 1980’s
- Marxist analysis of the current crisis
- The responses of the bourgeoisie to the current crisis and their solutions
Tuesday 27/11 Imperialism today
- The classic theory of imperialism (origins, Lenin’s analysis, first world war)
- Imperialism under US hegemony (post Second World War)
- Geopolitics today, emerging imperialist powers and declining imperialist powers
Wednesday 28/11 The new working class - Dan La Botz
- Origins of labour bureaucracy, the dialectics of partial conquests.
- The transformations in the composition of the working class (“postfordism”, delocalisation rise of the service sector, precariousness, migrants, youth, women, etc.)
- The current situation of the labour movement, the situation of class consciousness
- The nature of women's oppression/exploitation under capitalism
- Women and the crisis (food, reproductive rights under attack, others)
- The need for autonomous movements
Friday 30/11 A Marxist-feminist view on gender - Nadia De Mond
- Origins and different aspects of women’s oppression
- Patriarchal attitudes and mechanisms that influence our way of looking at the family, reproduction
- Sexual identities, the LGBT movement, homophobia and heterosexism
Saturday 1/12 Day off
- National identities, right to self determination
- Religious identities, the roles of religion in different societies and contexts
- The problem of intersectionality of different identities
Monday 3/12 Climate crisis - Marijke Colle
- Technical explanation of the global warming and consequences
- Climate change and social justice
- The impossible green capitalist solutions
Tuesday 4/12 Food crisis
- Different causes, links with the climate crisis
- The politics of food sovereignty
- New peasants and indigenous peoples struggles, the fight against global agribusiness and capitalist agriculture
Wednesday 5/12 Ecosocialism - Daniel Tanuro
- The fight for another ecosocialist society is linked to the characteristics of the current combined economic and ecological crisis;
- A criticism of the concept of linear progress;
- Use value and human needs; the commons and public services;
Thursday 6/12 Our socialist project - Catherine Samary
- The problem of bureaucracy before and after the overthrow of capitalism
- Human needs, ecological constraints and socialist democracy
- Democracy and political representation; democracy and the Law; importance of self organisation before and after the revolution
- Socialist democracy and political pluralism
3. Strategic questions and situation in the different world regions
Friday 7/12 Revolutionary strategy in the 21st century
- Balance sheet of the 20th Century experiences
- Rebuilding class consciousness and rebuilding mass organisations
- Mass mobilisation and united fronts, new movements (Occupy, indignados, …°
- The conquest of power in the 21st century.
Saturday 8/12 Day off
- The economies of the emergent countries, the role of China
- Ongoing conflicts: workers movements, peasant movement, indigenous peoples movements
- The dynamics of the left, new parties.
- Socioeconomic roots of the Arab spring;
- Dynamics of the processes in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya;
- The fight for dignity and democracy; role of Islamic forces; religion; women’s liberation.
- The left governments in Latin America: Where are they going?
- The appearance of Indigenous movements
- Lessons from the Brazilian experience; new broad parties, Mexico?
Wednesday 12/12 The crisis in Europe - Alan Thornett
- The current economic crisis in different parts of Europe;
- The debt crisis and transitional demands, action program;
- The crisis of the current European project and of parliamentary democracy; our
Thursday 13/12 The current transfrmations in Africa
- Sub-Saharan Africa, economic trends; different neo-colonial regimes; role of Europe (and of former colonial powers);
- Role of South-Africa, role of China and Brazil;
- Agriculture, land grabbing, climate change; struggles by social movements
- Revolutionary strategy today
- The current situation of the Fourth International
15/12 Balance sheet, cleaning.